Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

POETRY PROJECT #31: "What Whales Want"

Incredibly, here I am at the end of a month of writing one short postcard poem per day.  For some people, this is not a big deal.  But for someone who has been simultaneously writing poems, remodeling her house, prepping for a new school year, dealing with family issues, health issues, and a few other minor details, THIS IS HUGE!!!

I leave you with this little meditation on whales.  When I saw this card, it was the oceans that grabbed me.  How MUCH ocean.  How filled that ocean is with life, creatures and beings who live out their time in the waters of this planet. 

Thank you for sticking it out with me, folks.  This project was exactly what I needed at this point in my sabbatical year - this bittersweet ending, this have-I-done-everything-I-wanted-to-do August.

And soon I will post a group photo of all the cards I've received this month - what riches.

Without further ado, the Last Poetry Project Poem (for now):





And here is the "group photo" of the postcard poems I have received in the month of August.  More may still be in the mail! but this is what I've got right now...what a luscious crop.

This is how the postcards look when they are keeping me company.
This is the postcards posing for the camera.


4 comments:

  1. If only we could feel that way about the world we are in, even without being whales. Now I have a picture in my mind of whales, swimming through oceans.

    Great idea for a collage of cards. Guess I will set mine up for a group shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect poem. It is as lovely as the poems featured on the Writer's Almanac- I can hear it being read aloud by Garrison Keillor or Billy Collins! I just saw Life of Pi, so Ang Lee's beautiful imagery was on my mind in conjunction with yours. Thanks for sharing. ~Rosanne B./Postcard Poetry Fest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem.It takes me back to dreams I had as a child of the dark ocean. I dreamed of the ocean that myself & my siblings played in, when we went to the real "Jersey Shore". I found out late in life, that I was almost drowned as a baby, then the dreams stopped.I have known how whales feel in dark ocean of your poem.Thanks for posting.Quite a writer you are & your first poetry fest..mine too. I find stressful events makes it is easier to write well writing is a stress release for many.Cheers & thanks for sharing.I will read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely, thought-provoking poem. And I love the postcard to go with it.

    ReplyDelete