Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Long Distance





I saw the first firefly
of the season tonight;
wanted to tell you.

I wrote about fear tonight;
wanted to read my words to you. 
The sky is an oceanic

shade of indigo, Jupiter
pierces the canopy
like a jewel; I wanted

to show it to you. Human
comes from humus;
Adam means earth.

Six elements make up
almost 99 percent
of the human body’s

mass: oxygen, carbon,
hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium
and phosphorus. All

of these elements –
dear to creation
 – make up the earth’s

body as well.  This means
we are dirt, my friend.
This means if I put my palm

flat against this soil,
you will feel my touch
thousands of miles away.

Thin webs of love stretch
across a continent: no
such thing as absence.

Wherever you are, let
your fingers stroke red clay,
black mud, gray dust.

Meet me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment